[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:23:36 CEST 2012

2012/4/11 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:47:51PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

>> > You're speaking about yourself. I am speaking in general. How is it more
>> > practical that the documentation is not available? You raise disk space.
>> > I see that as a benefit if you have a small amount of disk space. But I
>> > don't see how that makes not including documentation practical. Might be
>> > practical to have the installer automatically detect a small amount of
>> > disk space and exclude documentation. But in general not having any
>> > documentation available is not practical at all; you have to rely on an
>> > internet connection, hope that the documentation is available online,
>> > furthermore you have to search for it.
>> >
>> > Not installing documentation,  might be some reasons for it, but
>> > 'practical': I don't see it.
>>
>> The question whether having documentation ready or not is based on
>> individual preferences, there is no general consensus about that as
>> you pretend when you claim to "speak in general". At least this is
>
> That is not what I was after.
>
> I said that minimizing disk space is a preference. A way to achieve that
> is to exclude documentation. Minimizing disk space might be practical in
> some cases. But that doesn't mean that if by default / in general / for
> everyone the documentation is excluded, that this exclusion is somehow
> logical. Or: A -> B doesn't mean B -> A.

Ok, this is more clear than just saying that you speak "in general" as
opposite to Ron's opinion.

>> what this thread told us. In my understanding the point of this whole
>> discussion is to find a way to cater to both sides, (A) having
>> documentation ready if you want it but also (B) being able to *easily*
>> avoid it if you don't want it. At the moment this issue is not solved
>> for (A) AND (B), only for (A).
>
> Seems you're just repeating what I suggested: if there is a need, check
> if it can be possible.

Hmm, Obviously we are talking about different things. I thought I
clearly showed that there is a need and that the topic of thei thread
is to find a solution.

> At the moment the only concern seems to be disk space. If that is the
> only reason, just do it automatically and/or have a special disk space
> concious section. Fully analysing why to exclude would allow that will
> ensure it is there when expected, instead of just being an option you
> have to search for.

No, disk space is not the only reason but the most prominent. For the
rest of this paragraph I have no clue what you are talking about.
Either it's the language barrier or maybe my lack of tech
understanding.

--
wobo