[Mageia-discuss] beta2 woes and no graphical root (tonyb)

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:22:36 CEST 2012

On 04/13/2012 06:26 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 11:36 PM, R James wrote:
>> What I"m about to tell you may destroy all of Linux or it may provide
>> just
>> the convenience you need:
>>
>> # sed -i 's/user != root//' /etc/pam.d/kdm
>>
>> # sed -i 's/AllowRootLogin=false/AllowRootLogin=true/'\
>> /var/lib/mageia/kde4-profiles/Default/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
>>
>> # service dm restart
>>

> Wasn't the contention of the OP that someone had patched KDM so that
> keyword would be ignored no matter what you set it to ?

Exactly. And where I get annoyed in this whole conversation is not that
I want to log in as root - I haven't even tried to do that in years. But
the option has been there, should I feel I need it and am prepared to
accept the consequences of my actions. This latest move has removed that
option - according to the OP - and THAT'S what annoys me.

Mr. Pedersen maintains that I probably don't know what all of those
possible consequences are, and that I could easily not be the only one
affected by them. And even if I do know all of them, there are plenty of
irresponsibles who don't, and we have to protect ourselves from those
types. And he has a point.

There are plenty of examples in other areas. While I may mistakenly
believe I have the skills to use a mobile communications device while
driving and may even be able to get away with it if I do it sparingly,
99.999% don't have those skills (or luck), so it is illegal in most
areas to protect the rest of us. And there are several cases where
carriers of a disease unwittingly spread that disease without it
affecting them, and these days when one is found he or she is removed
from society before more damage can be done.

So I understand what he's saying. But it still annoys me when one of my
options is taken away by the heavy hand of the powerful. It's possible
for the powerful to abuse that power, go too far with it, and take away
too much.

TJ