[Mageia-discuss] What network interfaces are supposed to be supported by boot.iso?

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Apr 16 11:01:15 CEST 2012

Morgan Leijström skrev 16.4.2012 09:44:
> söndagen den 15 april 2012 16.04.24 skrev  Sander Lepik:
>> 15.04.2012 13:58, Morgan Leijström kirjutas:
>>> I have a laptop with toast ethernet NIC.
>>> A couple weeks ago i tried booting network install boot.iso and use intel
>>> 2200BG interface, but i think it it looks like one file was missing.
>>
>> Did you try boot-nonfree.iso? It should contain nonfree firmware and
>> drivers for such cases.
>>
>> --
>> Sander
>
> Yes, and i saw no difference at all; both interfaces fail.

Trouble for most (if not almost all) wireless usage is that we would
need to know how to find and connect to the wireless AP and enter
passwords etc, and this falls out of scope of boot.iso as it needs
network access to download stage2 installer where this could be done.

boot*.iso is supposed to stay small for local lan installs.

If we start adding more code to boot*.iso, it becomes the same as dual &
livecds. what could/should be done is to add possibility to load nonfree
firmware from additional local media to stage1

--
Thomas