[Mageia-discuss] Remote login

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Apr 17 20:37:58 CEST 2012

Le 2012-04-01 05:05, Anne Wilson a écrit :

> On 31/03/12 13:42, Oliver Burger wrote:

>>> I hadn't thought of running an imap server, but this does sound
>>> appealing for my uses. I wonder if  it would be too "resource"
>>> demanding to ask from my desktop computer to do both imap as
>>> well as my regular work on the desktop.
>>>
>> No, a standard setup (postfix and dovecot) does not use many
>> resources and is rather easy to setup. You'll find enough
>> tutorials for that on the web. I just don't know how to do the
>> filtering, but I'm quite sure you'll find out. And a static IP is
>> not neccessary, just use dyndns or something alike.
>>
> Procmail efficiently handles filtering to folders on the server.
> Again, web tutorials are easy enough to follow - the only caveat being
> to make sure that you add the trailing / for IMAP folders.  If you are
> interested in having bogofilter filter out spam at the same time,
> there is a page
> http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Spam_filtering_on_an_IMAP_server
> that shows you a sample procmail recipe and also the script that I use
> to filter spam during the procmail sorting.  It's efficient to filter
> the spam first, then sort the rest into folders.
>
> Anne

For those following this thread, I did give a try at getting an imap
server but for lack of time and coming to the realization that I would
also have to set aside some time to keep such a server up-to-date etc, I
decided instead, to use Google Gmail as my imap server. I uploaded all
of my email data (close to 55,000 emails) to a Google Gmail account.
I'll use the available Google tools to work remotely from my office, but
still use my Thunderbird as my principal email client with Google Gmail
imap access.

Getting an imap server going seemed like a lot of fun, but I just could
not afford the time. I may still get an imap server going in the future
once I can free up some time.

A big thanks to all who helped out with their comments on this thread!

Cheers,

Marc