[Mageia-discuss] Configuring external monitor display

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Apr 20 20:48:24 CEST 2012

On 19/04/12 19:31, Richard wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Apr 2012 19:12:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> On 19/04/12 17:04, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>>> I like to use an external monitor when doing more serious work
>>> on my netbook. As far as I can see there is nothing in MCC for
>>> setting that up, so I assume I have to use System Settings.
>>> However, that too only offers me the settings for the
>>> netbook's display.
>>>
>>> I've looked at xorg.conf which also only has the settings for
>>> the netbook screen. Am I right in thinking that I have to get
>>> xrandr to get this working correctly? At the moment I can clone
>>> the screen, but that means that only 80% of the screen is
>>> visible, a real pain.
>>>
>>> I'm using beta 3, and package management seems to be
>>> problematic at the moment.
>
>> Package management is now working - it looks as though the
>> mirror was down when I tried it (several times) earlier today.
>
>> It seems that xrandr is already installed, so that isn't the
>> problem.
>
>> The netbook screen is correctly set to
>
>> 1280x720, refresh 60.4 Hz
>
>> The external monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 193v is set to
>
>> 1024x768, refresh 60 Hz.
>
>> That should be 1280x1024, refresh 75Hz.
>
>> Does anyone know how I can set this up?
>
>> Anne
>

> If you are running KDE, have you tried the KDE Systemsettings >
> Display and Monitor > Size and Orientation ?
>

> I have used that to set up a separate monitor on my laptop.

Yes, System Settings appears to be where the size information is kept.
It doesn't offer me any other resolution.  Long ago I recall editing
exorg.conf, entering modelines from the monitor manual, but I'm not
sure whether it is still safe to do this.  I have seen Internet
instructions on setting separate screens, so that the external monitor
can use the higher resolution.  I wonder whether that's still safe?

Mike, I don't have Gnome set up on the netbook.  If there's a real
chance that the Display Settings there could handle this, I'll install it.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try
http://userbase.kde.org or