[Mageia-discuss] Configuring external monitor display

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Apr 20 21:16:30 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 20:04 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > On some laptops there's a function key that switches. On mine (HP
> > Elitebook/NVidia GT216 Quadra FX 880M) it doesn't, but I found a
> > package called "disper" that provides a command-line program called
> > disper that works very well.
> >
> That sounds like the function key to switch between internal and
> external monitor.  Fn+F5 is supposed to cycle between internal,
> external or both, but it doesn't work.

Doesn't work for me either in Linux, but I can have a launcher (gnome 2)
that runs
    disper -S
to use the secondary screen, and another that runs disper -s to go back,
or disper -e to extend the desktop to both.

ATI (OK, AMD) drivers seem to have better xrandr support than nvidia,
but I still find "disper" more convenient than the GUI. E.g. get up to
give a talk and double click an icon to start projecting.

Liam