[Mageia-discuss] Package for tkimg?

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 20:38:52 CEST 2012

On 23/04/12 18:49, Remco Rijnders wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 06:07:55PM +0100, Len wrote in
> <4F958C6B.9020803 at gmail.com>:
>> mga2b3 GNOME CD
>>
>> Ruby and ruby-tk successfully installed and working fine until jpeg
>> images are needed.  On Mageia 1 I was able to install an RPM from
>> Mandriva 2010.0 but that cannot work now because the libraries no
>> longer match.  I tried installing from a tar file but ran in to
>> difficulties.  Will have another go.  Would it be possible to provide
>> a tkimg package sometime in the future, maybe as an update to the
>> main release?  I know you guys are too busy just now to attend to
>> minor concerns.
>
> I wouldn't mind having a go at it if no one beats me to it. At a quick
> glance, it seems the Mandriva package is quite outdated, but I'm
> unsure what the current release of this package is or if I should go
> for the latest svn version.
>
> On a 1 to 10 scale, how important is this package to you personally?
>
> Remmy
Well, I write a lot of scripts to help me run household accounts, print
labels, calendar, diary, journal, etc, etc.  I would feel lost without
them.  They all have guis and many use stock images in menubars and the
like so there would be a lot of editing and testing needed to make them
work.  On the other hand I am testing mga2b3 on a new X51, intending to
keep Mageia 1 on my production machine until the dust settles, so
realistically the importance is low, say 1 just now.  I don't intend to
edit these scripts for the X51 but I would like to think it could simply
replace the workstation at some point without bother.

The latest version I could find on SourceForge was 1.4, which fell over
because for some reason ruby was looking for 1.3.  Thanks for your interest.

One more point.  AFAIK the image stuff is bundled with ruby 1.9 so if we
move to that sometime the ball will be in somebody else's court.

Len