[Mageia-discuss] [Mageia-dev] many systemd temporary directories

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Tue Apr 24 23:21:19 CEST 2012

Am 24.04.2012 22:51, schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Florian Hubold at 24/04/12 21:27 did gyre and gimble:
>> Am 24.04.2012 20:51, schrieb Juergen Harms:
>>> I just saw that systemd creates (and does not purge) lots of directories like
>>> /tmp/systemd-namespace-<uniqueid>/ - I now have nearly 50 of them (one
>>> partial explanation might be that I did quite some re-booting these last days).
>>>
>>> Nothing serious, they are small - but nevertheless ... Is this normal,
>>> shouldnt there be some automatic purging mechanism?
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>
>> Maybe we should default to /tmp being on tmpfs so that
>> this gets purged on every reboot? This would also be more
>> in accordance with FHS imho.
> This is one of my goals for mga3 (I have it in my notes for the
> technical specs discussion that will come), but certainly not for mga2
> as this is quite a big change and some apps may have to be patched to
> use /var/tmp instead etc. if they store large things in there.
>
> Col

Well, this is what FHS says (in an ideal world it would reflect reality)

    Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
    preserved between invocations of the program.

    IEEE standard P1003.2 (POSIX, part 2) makes requirements that are similar
    to the above section.

    Although data stored in /tmp may be deleted in a site-specific manner, it
    is recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
    whenever the system is booted.

Just mentioned it as one possible solution to the problem at hands.