[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Experiences

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Thu Apr 26 13:50:13 CEST 2012

On 04/25/2012 10:32 PM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 04/25/2012 06:51 PM, imnotpc wrote:
>>
>> I don't really have a lot of clues to offer. After installation it
>> goes through the boot sequence and fails with either a blank screen
>> for the default ATI driver, or a multi-color pixelated screen with
>> the vesa driver. I've never seen the vesa driver lock up before.
>
> If you boot a rescue CD, mount the root partition, change the runlevel
> in /etc/inittab to 3 rather than 5, and reboot, do you get to a login
> prompt with no problem ?

No, it locks up with a blank screen. The last line I could read before
it went blank was "Starting speech dispatcher..."

If I boot using safe mode the system doesn't lock, but doesn't give me a
command prompt either. The last message is "Failed to issue method call:
Transaction is destructive."

>> At times I've managed to get to the command line and discovered that
>> in addition the networking won't work, either wired or wireless. I'd
>> gladly submit a bug report or comment on an existing one, but I don't
>> know where to start on this one.
>
> From either a tty command line or a root terminal window, run
> drakconnect.  See whether the NetworkManager box is checked in the
> options panel for the wired interface.  If it is, uncheck it, complete
> drakconnect and run "service networkmanager stop" and "systemctl
> disable NetworkManager.service".  Then reboot and see if it comes up.
> Same for wireless.
>
> If your NICs worked under mga1, NM is most likely the culprit.

I install over the network so the wired NIC is working during
installation. The wireless NICs work as well but they usually need
firmware installed first. I'll take a look at this once I can reliably
get that far. Thanks for the help.