[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Experiences

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Fri Apr 27 13:43:14 CEST 2012

On 04/25/2012 06:51 PM, imnotpc wrote:
> I don't really have a lot of clues to offer. After installation it
> goes through the boot sequence and fails with either a blank screen
> for the default ATI driver, or a multi-color pixelated screen with the
> vesa driver. I've never seen the vesa driver lock up before. At times
> I've managed to get to the command line and discovered that in
> addition the networking won't work, either wired or wireless. I'd
> gladly submit a bug report or comment on an existing one, but I don't
> know where to start on this one.
>
> Jeff

The problems installing mga2 on this laptop are truly puzzling. Here's a
current summary:

I've done a clean install of mga2 and the default boot entry still hangs
with a blank screen.

How quickly you start the boot changes the outcome of the boot. I can
now duplicate different outcomes when I start the boot at different
times during the first 0-2 seconds after the boot menu appears.

If I immediately select the safe mode menu item I can now get to a
command line. If I wait longer it will hang at 2 different points
depending on how long I wait.

The wired network connection doesn't work after booting. If I run
drakconnect I can see that the settings are correct for the wired
interface and there is no entry for the wireless interface. When I save
the setting drakconnect locks up while testing the connection. If I
disable the wired interface drakconnect saves and exits without problem.
However when I reboot the default boot entry now locks up while trying
to start the network: "Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking..."

I install over the network so I know there is no additional firmware
required for the wired interface. I'm open to suggestions (other than
chucking the laptop out the window, which is a very appealing idea right
now!)