[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Experiences

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Fri Apr 27 20:28:23 CEST 2012

On 04/27/2012 01:54 PM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 01:00 PM, imnotpc wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and success! I have an Acer also but it uses the b43 driver.
>> Since the gui tools locked up I went back to drakconnect and tried to
>> configure the wireless interface. It required firmware files but I
>> installed them using my key drive the same way I installed the kernel
>> firmware package. After I successfully installed the firmware the
>> system boots normally and both NICs work.
>>
>> Is this a known bug? If not, what package should I file a bug report
>> against?
>>
> If you google "linux freeze atl1c" you'll get a bunch of hits, but
> it's not really clear which driver is causing the problem.  Probably
> atl1c, since not all of those affected are using Broadcom wireless.

lsmod | grep atl didn't get any hits and lsmod | grep b43 gives this:

b43                   392212  0
rng_core               13292  1 b43
bcma                   35012  1 b43
mac80211              440190  1 b43
cfg80211              199805  2 mac80211,b43
ssb                    62651  1 b43
pcmcia                 61681  2 ssb,b43
mmc_core              114404  4 sdhci,sdhci_pci,ssb,b43

Unless it uses a different name I don't think my laptop uses the atl1c
driver. I don't think it's a bug in the b43 firmware since that works
fine once it's installed. I would guess it's a hardware probe of some
sort that locks up when it encounters the wireless NIC without firmware.