[Mageia-discuss] can bootable partitions be detected during installation?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu May 3 17:05:38 CEST 2012

2012/5/3 blind Pete <0123peter at gmail.com>:

>> But at which moment/occasion would you need that?
> When do you use the installer?
> Incompetent user: every month.
> Tester: every week.
> Mageia user: every nine months.

No, I meant: at which moment in the install process and for which occasion?

>> Only once when
>> you install the distribution which you think will stay the longest and
>> whos bootloader will go into MBR. After that you don't need it any
>> more because you will have to add new distributions manually to the
>> list.
> You can use drakboot as it is now to add "things to be chainloaded"
> to the list.

But that makes only sense for the bootloader which is in the MBR. So
you do it once and never again.
Whenever you add a distribution, you put the bootloader of this new
one in its root partition. Then you boot the distribution which has
its bootloader in the MBR and add the relevant 3 lines into its
menu.lst. You can't use drakboot for that.

--
wobo