[Mageia-discuss] About routers and switches and Mbit/s

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri May 4 22:39:02 CEST 2012

On 05/04/2012 04:19 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
> My question is, if we are wired for 1000 Mbit/s should I be purchasing
> router and switches that work at this speed. I have quite frankly
> never really worried about this as our speed was quite decent.

What you need to do is compare the speed of your router/switches to the
speed your ISP gives you.  Typically, the ISP speed is the bottleneck.
The faster router/switches can only exceed the ISP's bandwidth when
you're going from machine to machine in your house, which may be worth
it if you do a lot of large file transfers.

And, of course, even if you upgrade the router/switches, any particular
system with a slower NIC won't see the benefit unless it upgrades as well.