[Mageia-discuss] Internet connection problems with internet 82579LM gigabit network card

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat May 5 13:45:25 CEST 2012

Hi André

Le 2012-05-04 23:42, andre999 a écrit :

> Static charges can make a router (or some card in a computer)
> malfunction, even for an extended period of time -- to subsequently
> start working perfectly again.
> It used to be VERY common with computers some 20 years ago. (My clients
> were mostly in industrial areas which often had power spikes. More
> recent computers are a lot more resistant to problems.)
>
> I had similar problems with my router a few years back (for several
> months), and more recently for 2 months my video card displayed all but
> the simplist colours in green. (Very frustrating for displaying photos.)
> But both work perfectly since.
>
> So probably not useful to replace your router. (Although a backup router
> might be reassuring.)
>
> Regards

It certainly would be nice if the router would fix itself, I bought the
router recently (Belkin N router) as we wanted to use our laptops and
wifi cellphones on the patio. Although that didn't work quite like I
wanted. The reach is still not too great.

The overriding factor as to whether to buy a backup router is mostly
whether it affects my gamer-kids. Missing a minute of WOW, NHL Hockey or
Facebook would be the end of the world ... or something more severe! ;-)

I looks like the consensus with my family is to buy a backup router just
in case the Belkin dies on us.

Cheers,

Marc