[Mageia-discuss] About routers and switches and Mbit/s

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sat May 5 14:27:02 CEST 2012

05.05.2012 15:11, Marc Paré skrev:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Le 2012-05-04 20:57, Frank Griffin a écrit :
>>
>> Wireless is another issue. If the router is doing the wireless,
>> upgrading to a good-quality n-level wireless router will give your
>> wireless systems more parity with their wired brethren. Be careful of
>> high-speed n-level routers that only deliver their top-rated speed if
>> all of the wireless NICs come from the same vendor.

Actually thats only sort of partly true.
As long as they support the same standard like 2x2 or 3x3 (radio x
stream) they will get higher speed.

but yes, the vendor-specific "extensions" to the standard will need the
matching vendor wireless adapter.

> That's interesting to note; I recently bought a N-router but didn't see
> big gains in speed or distance. Maybe that is why. I was actually going
> to check to see if I could boost the signal a bit to get more reach -- I
> use a laptop on our patio but the signal can be troublesome at the best
> of times.

does your laptops support the standard the router is supporting ?
If not, you wont see any change.

As for phones, only newer and more expensive ones knows how to do stuff
like 2x2

--
Thomas