[Mageia-discuss] Odd entry in log file

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Tue May 8 01:42:34 CEST 2012

>> Well isn't that interesting. That Comcast IP is the address of the
>> ISP gateway I use. Both of my firewall/gateway boxes that are logging
>> martian packets are connected to similar Comcast routers. The routers
>> are configured in bridge mode so the router DHCP service has no
>> effect on my connection, but it might still be active on the router.
>> Also each ISP router also has a wireless interface and that could
>> still be active. My firewall doesn't block any private IPs coming
>> from the Internet interface since the ISP routers would never forward
>> them, so that explains how they get past the firewall.
>
> No, I think traceroute doesn't special-case internal IP addresses.
> Your routing table is (correctly) set up to route traffic for anything
> other than your known subnets to the external internet, and that's
> exactly what traceroute is doing.  It's your ISP's job to discard
> internal address packets, not yours.
>
> But I think you're on to something with the ISP routers.  Is there
> some reason you don't just run the cable from the cable modem to the
> external NIC on the gateway PC ?  If you're willing to try that, and
> the martians disappear, it's these routers.
>
> Try going into configuration on these routers, and see what their DHCP
> servers are set up for, and whether the 192.168.3 subnet appears
> anywhere in there.  It's possible that one of your DHCP-using wireless
> clients is getting an answer to its broadcast from these guys before
> your internal router, and picking up a 192.168.3.2 IP address from them.

Well the Comcast cable modem was a dead end. I checked it and DHCP is
disabled, and even if it were enabled it uses a completely different
subnet. Besides, It would be coming in on eth2 and not eth0. I checked
the wireless router in the LAN and it uses the 192.168.3.0/24 subnet for
it's DHCP connections. It has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.100 on the LAN
interface so I don't know why these IPs would ever be seen by the
firewall/gateway box, but this looks like the most likely source.

Jeff