[Mageia-discuss] Upgrade from Mandriva 2011

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed May 23 14:50:05 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:32 +0100, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2012 09:27, Sander Lepik wrote:
> > If you are running on Mandriva
> > 2011 and want to switch to Mageia then you have to do a fresh install.
>
> What about those of us who are still using Mandriva 2010.2 (which does
> not use rpm5)? Some of us have been waiting for mga2 to come along
> before the switch, as some have read reports about problems with
> upgrading to mga1.
> Do we also have to do a clean install?

I upgraded my laptop (HP Elitebook 8540w) from 2010.2 to Mageia 1 last
year.

Quite a few packages went away -- Mageia has many fewer packages than
Mandriva -- but I didn't find any other problems, and some things were
actually fixed or improved.

I haven't tried mga2 or cauldron yet as I can't afford downtime if there
are problems.

Liam