[Mageia-discuss] Temporarily changing IP address

JPB jpierre.benoit at free.fr
Thu May 24 00:02:12 CEST 2012

Le lundi 21 mai 2012, Anne Wilson a écrit :
> I'm trying to set up a NAS server, and the built-in address is not on
> the same subnet as my LAN, so I need to temporarily change the address
> of this netbook so that I can run the configuration.
HI Anne
Sorry to jump late on this thread; but in that case another solution may be to
use the arp command to set a new ip addr corresponding to the mac addr of your
network card (no need to reconfigure the interface).
I often use this solution to configure new ISP boxes or wifi AP/routers.
(quick and dirty but works)

> Using MCC I changed to the new address, but ifconfig still shows the
> LAN IP.  I tried service network restart, and I tried rebooting, yet I
> still can't convince the netbook to use the temporary address.  What
> am I missing?
>
> Anne
JPB