[Mageia-discuss] dysfunctional laptop install

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Mon May 28 09:40:17 CEST 2012

> M2 x86_64 on acer extensa 5620Z laptop, windows on sda1,
> (used the DVD successfully on 3 desktops, install OK there)
>
> Problem: routine install, reboot drops out to emergency mode.  Nothing
> in syslog which didn't exist, and wasn't written to on another reboot
> after I manually created it.
>
> 'esc' during reboot shows normal startup messages including 'Started
> /dev/disk/by-uuid...'
> then
> Failed to start /media/windows
> See 'systemctl status media-windows.mount' for details.
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of Mark the need to relabel after reboot
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of Setup links in /boot for running
> kernel
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of Relabel all filesystems, if necessary
> Welcome to emergency mode....  Give root pwd. for maint...
>
> A bunch of messages I've never seen before.  At one point there was a
> message about losing touch with the boot process, forgotton the exact
> wording.  Not seen that since.
>
> I would do this the day before an overseas trip!  Just as well preserved
> a couple of functional partitions.
>

> The suggested systemctl call above, showed
> process: 432 ExecMount=/bin/mount /media/windows (code=exited, status=21)
> mount[432]: fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
>
> modprobe fuse: gave no output

modprobe fuse never gives output, but check in dmesg if you see anything
fuse related after that. or check with lsmod | grep fuse if it's loaded.

as a quick fix, you can comment /media/windows in /etc/fstab
(perhaps adding noauto as parameter)

or find a way to load fuse at startup, but i heard that
/etc/modprobe.preload isn't used for that anymore with the new modprobe
tools.