[Mageia-discuss] mounting removeable media on Mageia 2 Gnome 2?

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Mon May 28 19:20:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:02:16 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/28 Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au>:
> > On Mon, 28 May 2012 10:34:55 -0400
> > Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:

> >> I add the following to my /etc/sudoers file so I don't have to
> >> enter a password to run VirtualBox:
> >>
> >> doug    ALL=/usr/bin/VirtualBox NOPASSWD
> >>
> >> Doug
> >>

> > That should do it. The full path is /bin/mount.  Substitute that
> > for /usr/bin/VirtualBox
> >
> > I think that it is effective immediately.
>
> Still I wonder how could the fallback have an effect on the way
> removable media are handled. In my new MGA2 installation from the free
> DVD where I selected GNOME standard installation I did not experience
> the fallback (although the proprietary driver of my nvidia wasn't
> installed). When I insert a stick or sd card or a cd I immediately get
> the popup with the icon and options to mount it (no root needed).

I don't use gnome, but since xfce is derived from it, I would have
expected the same behavior.  The question of mounting media
upon insertion isn't straightforward.  The installation CDs are made
readable although not mounted.  Doug's solution provides an option
only: it allows the user to mount the device.  If the "user" option is
given in /etc/fstab, it allows the user to mount the device, but that
would need a permanent mountpoint to be set.  I used to be advised
that if I wanted my USB key to be mounted immediately, I should set a
mount point.  As I understand it, with the new system that is no longer
the case, even for /dev/cdrom.

I have still occasionally been caught by removing media before writing
to it is finished.

Doug.