[Mageia-discuss] New install - black screen after reboot - Acer eMachine e525

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Wed May 30 02:02:51 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 29 May 2012 13:17 my mailbox was graced by a message from Luca
Olivetti who wrote:
> > Found a work-around on an Unbubtu list:
> > one must add acpi_osi=Linux to the line under "title linux" in
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > Only problem, that would make this rather difficult for a newbee, is that
> > you  cannot do it in Mageia, since your screen is not showing;

> Not even in grub?
> If the grub menu is visible, you can press "Esc" (to exit graphical mode),
> then "e" to edit the highlighted entry and edit it directly in grub. This
> is not permanent, but once booted successfully you can edit
> /boot/grub/menu.lst

Nothing is visible on screen, either graphical or text mode with alt-ctrl-F1

Hence the newbee-unfriendly maneuvering with Mandriva LiveCD (Mageia LiveCD
gives the same black screen as the Mageia install) and modifying
/boot/grub/menu.lst

Cheers,

Ron.
--