[Mageia-discuss] Stand up for your freedom to install free software - perhaps OT

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 3 08:47:16 CEST 2012

2012/6/3 Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au>:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 16:13:01 +1000
> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 18:03:46 +1200
>> John <john at neodoc.biz> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure if others have seen this:
>> >
>> > <http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement>
>> >
>> > John
>> >
>> The statement says that all new computers must have the Windows-only
>> lock.  What about upgrades?  If I buy a computer from a Linux dealer
>> and retrofit Windows 8, where do I stand?
>>
>> I am staying with XP. The dealers still prefer XP over Win7, when
>> they have a choice.  When I can no longer use that, Windows goes out
>> the window.
>>
>> Doug,
>> Registered Linux user.
>>
> It will be like Windows' "own goal" over business users: "We have them
> cornered; now we can charge what we like."  The users voted with their
> feet.  They are still doing it, hence the popularity of the Mac.  When
> will Microsoft learn that excellence sells more than coercion?
>
> I know that my hardware will support Windows 7; it probably won't
> support Windows 8.  Having Win 7 available may be good insurance.

I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the same machine I already
run Mageia and other Linux distributions, no problems. So best guess
is they did not implement the restriction in the preview. Now what
will happen if you pay for a full version and it will not work? Not
that it bothers me whether I am able to run Windows... :)

--
wobo