[Mageia-discuss] [SOLVED] Re: Samsung Printer driver and choice of "pdf" "PostScript" in print default

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Jun 10 00:19:11 CEST 2012

Thanks to everyone for the help. Solution on bottom.

Le 2012-06-05 17:08, Marc Paré a écrit :
> I was just printing some material in "landscape" mode on my Samsung
> SCX-4200 printer and could not figure out why it would only print in
> "portrait" mode. After fiddling around with settings, I found that when
> at the printing stage, the print window will open and if I went to
> "Print->Properties->Device(tab)->Printer Language Type->" it showed
> "pdf". If I changed it to ""PostScript (Level from driver)" everything
> worked fine.
>
> Is there a way to make the "PostScript" drive the default driver? It
> just seems that whenever I open/close a piece of editing/wordprocessing
> software, the driver goes back to "pdf".
>
> Many thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc
>
> Mageia2; Samsung SCX-4200

The problem is the driver and dependencies that was supplied with the
Samsung SCX-4200; the driver is no longer supported by Samsung and this
is most likely the reason why "landscape mode" does not work due to
missing dependencies (the driver is expecting older dependencies to make
landscape mode work).

Please use the driver found on the "OpenPrinting.org" site that is
maintained by the Linux Foundation[1]. The driver is called the "SpliX"
driver and the acronym means: "Samsung Printer Language -- for linux) --
SPL is a printing language that Samsung uses and that some other printer
makers license from Samsung.

Once downloaded (there are .deb and .rpm packages available -- Mageia
uses .rpm!), double-click on your downloaded file and it will install
all of the missing dependencies.

After installation, test-try your printer by opening a .odt file in
LibreOffice and ask for it to be printed in Landscape mode. It should
work properly.

If the file does not print properly, then you still have the older
driver install by defaut. To correct this:

* open MCC (Mageia Control Centre)
* left-hand panel -- click on Hardware
* right-hand panel -- click on "Set-up the printers ..."
* right-click on "SamsunG-SCX-4200 ..."
* choose "Properties"
* choose "Maker and model"->Modify
* wait till system finds all of the drivers
* choose "Samsung"
* choose "Next"
* choose "Samsung SCX-4200 SpliX 2.0.0 (OpenPrinting LSB 3.2)"
* choose "Next"
* CHOOSE "Use this new PPD file (Postscript Printer Description) as is"
* choose "Apply"
* print a "test" page from the MCC Printer Setup page
* the output should have a line that says "Make and model: Samsung
SCX-4200, sPLIx 2.0.0 (oPENpRINTING lsb 3.2)"
* Done!

Test the new driver

* close LibreOffice if open
* open LibreOffice
* create a new page in landscape mode (or open a file that is made for
landscape mode)
* print

Hope this helps anyone else with these problems.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-SCX-4200 (the
driver is on the bottom of this page) (NOTE: the driver also works for a
large number of Samsung, Dell, Xerox printers. See page here for
supporter printers: http://splix.ap2c.org/index.html)