[Mageia-discuss] Cannot unmount media as user

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:32:22 CEST 2012

On 10/06/12 10:59, andre999 wrote:
> Len Lawrence a écrit :
>> Mageia 2 fully updated
>> GNOME Classic
>>
>> This is probably a newbie question....  I am not sure when this
>> started to happen but when, as a user, I try to unmount a USB drive
>> via the desktop icon I am told that I am not authorized to perform
>> that operation.  After browsing bugzilla and the forums it looked
>> like the best way to get past this would be to use sudo.  However,
>> editing the sudoers file always throws up a syntax error.  I have
>> tried various commands based on examples but cannot get any to work.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> ALL /bin/umount NOPASSWD
>> %users /bin/umount NOPASSWD
>> %users localhost=/bin/umount NOPASSWD
>>
>> What is the correct recipe?  RTFM only makes my old brain spin.
>>
>> Len
>>

> try :
>
> %users ALL=/bin/umount NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> or maybe :
>
> %users ALL=/bin/umount device NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> where "device" is whatever the usb drive is mounted as.
> Not workable if "device" is variable.
>
> Alternately, you could do :
> su
> (enter password)
> umount ...
>
> As to why you are having the problem :
> It means that the drive was mounted with root privileges, or the
> privileges of another user.
> Thus it is requiring root privileges (or that of the other user) to
> unmount.
>
> Was it plugged it when the system was booted ? That could cause it to
> have root privileges.
> Is it in a line the /etc/fstab file ?
> (if so, you just have to add the option "users" in the comma-separated
> list in the third position in the line.)
>
> Or it could be a bug.

A bug seems doubtful because there do not seem to be any other reports
of this behaviour.  I have been forced to take the direct su/password route.

The medium was plugged in at boot time but has been removed and
replugged a few times.  I had not considered that point.  What you are
saying is that removable media are treated as fixed if already plugged
in at boot time?  This is starting to make sense.  Will investigate
fstab, edit if necessary and reboot without the drive .  And if that
works, mend sudoers.

Thanks

Len