[Mageia-discuss] Mailinglist woes, Old messages released

Simon Parsons gm4nzg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 12:41:57 CEST 2012

On 12/06/2012 11:29, Anne Wilson wrote:

>> The default should be that: mailing from outside the list should
>> be allowed,
>
> That would cause an awful lot of spam messages
>
> or moderating an incoming message should be dead easy (such
>> as activating a link + confirm).
>>
> I moderate some KDE lists on mailman, and find it quite easy.  I get
> email alerts when messages need moderation, and the emails even give
> me a preview of the beginning of the message.  If that's not happening
> on Mageia lists I suspect that a setting needs changing somewhere.

Anne, yes never let a list like that allow posts from non-members.
That's definitely asking for trouble. :-)

Mailman allows the first (few?) e-mail from a subscriber to be moderated
and then the moderation flag is cleared automatically. Perhaps that is
all that's needed, apart from not allowing posts by non-members (bounce,
don't moderate) and the moderators can keep an eye on the ML to quickly
block any member who either spams or abuses the list.

Simon(nzg)