[Mageia-discuss] Ripping to mp3

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jun 13 10:42:09 CEST 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:37:01 +0100
Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:

> I have an audio CD that I want to rip to mp3.  My favourite ripper is
> grip, but I can't get the configuration right.  I have installed the
> fluendo mp3 codec (it seemed to install, anyway).

I use grip with lame and it works fine. I used the following settings
(in the encoding configuration tab):

- encoder: lame
- program: /usr/bin/lame
- command line:
  --vbr-new -V3 --tt "%n" --ta "%a" --tl "%d" --ty "%y" --tn "%t" --tg
  "%G" %w %m
  (this will give you bitrates around 160 kbps usually)
- file format: /my/path/to/mp3s/%A/%d/%t - %n.%x

Paying for the fluendo mp3 codecs just gives money to software patent
lobbyists, AFAIK.

Regards

Antoine.