[Mageia-discuss] Flash videos

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:35:12 CEST 2012

On 06/13/2012 05:23 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On 13/06/12 09:42, andre999 wrote:
>> TJ a écrit :

>>> Oops. Should have looked before asking that last question. I see
>>> Lightspark is a dependency for Gnash.
>>>
>>> But do they make a functional alternative to Adobe's offering...
>>>
>>> TJ
>>>
>> I tried Gnash a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed.  But now
>> I block flash by default (and rarely unblock) so I couldn't say.
>> When I tried it before, it could be installed the same time as
>> Flash. The latest version is in core.  So why not try it and see ?
>>
>> As I understand it, Adobe is planning to phase out support for all
>> flash in favour of something based on HTML5, but I could be
>> mistaken.
>>
> The current version is, according to Adobe, the last one that will be
> released for Linux.
>
> Anne
Yes, something about a deal with Google that future Linux versions of
the plugin will be a part of Chrome and not released separately. Mozilla
refused to go along. I don't know the details, including whether the new
Flash-players will work with Chromium as well.

I'm a farmer, and I sometimes miss the local TV weather broadcast, but I
can watch a Flash video of it on the station's website if I do. Also,
from time to time I like to watch videos from the local newspaper, and
of course, Youtube. Not to mention the occasional instructional video.

I tried both Gnash and Lightspark from the repositories, finding that
only one Flash-playing plugin is allowed in Firefox. Only Adobe's
offering played everywhere. Gnash seemed to work OK with Youtube, but
not with some other sites, like that TV site mentioned above. Lightspark
wasn't much, if any, better. Looking at the web pages for each, I see
that each has had a release newer than the one in the repositories, but
from what I see they haven't developed enough to do what I need.

Could be that eventually, if I want to watch a video I'll just have to
use Chrome - no doubt what Google had in mind all along.

TJ