[Mageia-discuss] Music player

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 08:58:29 CEST 2012

On 19/06/12 17:42, Dimitrios Glentadakis wrote:
> Στις 19/06/2012 17:09:44 Anne Wilson έγραψε: On 19/06/12 15:28,

> Not that simple!  :-)  I subscribe to Magnatune, so one
> requirement is the ability to handle that.  Amarok does, of course,
> but so does Clementine.
>
> Anne
>
> Yes, in this case you have to choose one which support Magnatune.
> I 've just seen about Magnatune because i did nt know anything
> about, i see that it costs 15$/month, is a little expensive for a
> choice if 1200 albums. After your experience it is a service that
> worth to subscribe ? And once subscribed you can download music or
> listen to it online ?

Without subscribing you can listen online, but there will be adverts
between tracks.  Still, it's good for testing whether it meets your
needs.  Magnatune carries a very wide selection of music, all from
non-label-signed-up musicians.  The quality is very high, and I would
think they have music for all tastes.  If you want well-known albums
this isn't for you, but if you like one or more genres and hearing new
artists, then it's definitely worth the money.

It's worth mentioning that you can download both compressed formats
and wav files, and the license allows you to share with a small number
of friends (can't remember how many, possibly 3-5).  Artists are paid
a sum for every online listen and a larger sum for every download.  As
far as I'm concerned, it's an excellent service, with ethics that I'm
happy to support.

Anne