[Mageia-discuss] HP Printer

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 12:10:43 CEST 2012

On 23/06/12 03:01, Gary Montalbine wrote:

> On 06/22/2012 08:56 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 20:01 -0400, Gary Montalbine wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Angelo's fixes made the color much better. The print was still slightly
>>> darker but usable. Print quality has gradually decreased since then and
>>> is beyond my technical capability or desire to correct.
>>
>> OK, thanks, this is new information for those of us who had been unaware
>> of the bugzill history :)
>>

>>>   It is time to
>>> get a new printer.
>>
>> This may be a question best asked on the forums. But to avoid other
>> people getting confused about the problem, start out with, "I'm looking
>> to replace my old HP printer. Is there an all-in-one HP printer people
>> would recommend for use with the new Mageia 2 release?"
>>
>> (I don't have an answer since I don't currently have an HP printer here)
>>
>> Liam
>
> I had asked earlier on the printer forum and have had only one
> response with no recommendation. If nothing else there was good
> information about calibration presented here that should help the more
> technically inclined. My question was not a complete waste of time and
> space.
>
> I am looking at the HP Photosmart 6510
>
> Thanks all for your help.
>
> Gary
Coming in late on this because I wanted to try photoprinting again on my
HP Deskjet 6520.  Set up a queue and tried commandline printing and got
nowhere.  Gqview simple gave up and stopped the job but supplied a huge
pile of diagnostics with the summary "There's no answer to this!" or
similar words.  Installed gwenview and managed to print a jpeg file
without any difficulty.  It came out a bit dark but the colour balance
looked OK.  A bit of twiddling with the gamma would help (used
judiciously so as not to distort the colours).

For ten years or more I have used command-line printing without much
trouble but of late it seems that CUPS or HPLIP or both ignore
command-line options like position and scaling so I gave up on
photoprinting.  Gqview and the gimp just acted as a wrapper for the lpr
command and suffered from the same problems with sizing and positioning.

Will try gwenview on my Photosmart Premium C310.  Photocopies look fine,
with a bit of a shift in the colour brightness (hue?), as usual towards
the darker side so I would expect photo printing to be similar.

I had an HP7260 at one time and that had no difficulty with lpr.  All it
needed was the options for orientation and scaling (100% by default,
full page to the margins).  Centring was center by default and I did not
mess with that.

Len