[Mageia-discuss] Problems with Local Mail

Norbert Marchl norbert.marchl at aon.at
Mon Jun 25 13:11:39 CEST 2012

Am 2012-06-25 12:55, schrieb Doug Laidlaw:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:36:56 +0100
> Anne Wilson<annew at kde.org>  wrote:

>> Plain M2 :-)  Every time I started Thunderbird I got a message that it
>> couldn't locate the local mail spool (can't remember the exact words).
>>   Assuming it meant /var/spool/mail/anne, I touched that, owned
>> anne:mail (I tried root, too), but now the message is "Unable to
>> truncate spool file /var/spool/mail/anne".
>>
>> I don't have the problem on the Cauldron netbook, so I checked there,
>> and there is no /var/spool/mail/anne - so I guess something has
>> changed wrt local mail.  Are we now talking about
>> ~/.local/share/local-mail/ ?  What do I need to do now?
>>
>> Anne
>> - --
> /var/spool/mail/anne is the system mailbox for user anne.  Thunderbird
> will be putting your mail somewhere else.  I suspect that it will be a
> dot-directory under /home/anne, perhaps a subdirectory of
> your .mozilla directory.
>
> I think that TB uses the mbox file format.  That means that your inbox
> will be one big file.  Perhaps TB is trying to delete the old mails,
> hence "truncate."
>
> HTH,
>
> Doug.

Try a look in the folder: /home/.thunderbird/w18nngb3.defaul/Mail.

I cant say what under .thunderbird is the same on you install. In the
folder Mail I have four subfolders and one of this has the name as the
Server name in the Server-adjustment for the POP-Server. Here I found
the files for my folders (if created to sort mails). I hope this helps

Norbert