[Mageia-discuss] Problems with Local Mail

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Mon Jun 25 17:29:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 04:18:36PM +0100, Anne wrote in
<4FE8814C.7020003 at kde.org>:

>> But you use Postfix.  I use getmail.  Both deliver mail to
>> /var/spool/mail/user.  If Anne is downloading her mail directly
>> via POP, /var/spool/mail/anne will never be used.
>
>I have a dovecot IMAP server.  Procmail sorts the mail into
>directories on my server.  The only use I would expect in
>/var/spool/mail is if the system needs to send a message - and that
>normally would be to root.  Of course root is aliased to one of my
>mail accounts.

Hi Anne,

So, if you use imap locally, as it sounds like you do, then Thunderbird
has no place in even trying to touch /var/spool/mail/anne . In this case,
if /var/spool/mail/anne is seperate from your regular mail account, I
think you may want to tell dovecot about it so it can serve it over imap
to thunderbird. Having postfix, dovecot, and thunderbird all trying to
access /var/spool/mail/anne and even attempting locks on it might give all
sort of issues.

Remmy