[Mageia-discuss] Mailing list migration: this list is closing

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 01:29:05 CEST 2013

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 18:53:33 -0400, <bschroeder at internode.on.net> wrote:

> I'm afraid this move is sounding very Apple-ish or Microsoft-ish. It comes across as rude and arrogant towards anyone who does not want
> to toe the company line for whatever reason.
>
> Brian.

The reason the mailing lists provided by the ml.mageia.org server
require the use of the identity account, is for security.

The passwords associated with the identity account are stored in
an ldap database, properly encrypted with a salt.

The old mailing lists used software that kept the password stored
in plain text, as you can tell from the monthly reminder messages
it sent out.

We don't want plain test passwords stored on our servers.

While it would have been possible to automatically generate identity
accounts from the registration information stored by the mailman
software, it's preferable to be up front an honest about what's being
done, and let people decide for themselves if they want to create such
an account.

Regards, Dave Hodgins