[Mageia-discuss] Help texts for Beginner in Mageia Wiki, in English

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Feb 21 07:53:09 CET 2013

On 2/9/2013 5:57 AM, AL13N wrote:
> Op zaterdag 9 februari 2013 09:48:30 schreef macxi:

>>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Hd_partition_in_Mageia_2_for_beginners#Create_R
>>> OO T_Partition

>>> Be careful, I am not a native english speaker, but my opinion is:
>> Ok, I also do not,
>> I hope that other native English speakers to help correct errors.
>> I am very grateful to Marja and Dbg already made ​​some corrections.
>>
>>> In special cases, the minimum can even be 2GB. As a standard installation
>>> needs 4 to 5GB, consider that 6GB is the minimum size and 10 to 12GB is
>>> recommended.  More than 20GB is not needed.
>> Done:
>> (in special cases, the minimum can even be 1GB or 2GB, but more than 6GB
>> would be recommended. More than 20GB is not needed). See "Hardware
>> Requirements"
>>

>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Hd_partition_in_Mageia_2_for_beginners#Create_ROO
>> T_Partition
>>> Perhaps an explanation:
>>> The system needs to use temporary and useful files in /tmp and in /var
>>> (log
>>> and spooling files). A good advice is to have at least 1GB free.
>> I do not know how it's possible, but the Mageia site indicates that the
>> minimum to install Mageia is 1GB:
>>
>> https://www.mageia.org/en/support/
>> "Storage (HDD): 1GB for a minimal installation, 6GB for a full setup;
>>

>> Thanks  :)
> I have had a minimal install around 400MB once

Some people living away from urban areas with older, "minimalist"
hardware might appreciate installation instructions that only require
dial-up and a text interface, whether strictly command line or with text
graphics.  For example, let's say a machine has an AMD K5 at 397 MHz
with 64 MB RAM, a 20 GB hard drive, non-bootable CD-ROM, 3.5 & 5.25 inch
diskettes, parallel and serial ports, but no net card, no USB, and no
wireless.  Video card is by Matrox, has 4 MB RAM, and drives a 17-inch
Nanao.  A modem and a standard residential phone line are available.
Windows 98 Second Edition currently controls the machine; the hard drive
has only one partition which uses all of its available space.

Can Mageia be installed and used on this machine?  Is there a truly
minimal install (maybe a smaller kernel, and fewer files) with which an
installation and local operations may be accomplished?  Setup,
communications, and basic operating instructions without X-windows,
whether for troubleshooting and recovery, or for normal operations,
appears to be a useful category of instruction.

Ken