[Mageia-discuss] Good work on upgrades!

Claire Robinson eeeemail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 13:04:36 CET 2013

On 03/01/13 06:01, Daniel wrote:
> Hello Mageia team.
> In the last few days I did a dist upgrade on my Mageia 1 system. I moved
> to Mageia 2. Now I've done a few dist upgrades in my time and I must say
> that instructions on the mageia site were clear about what I needed to
> do. As always a few things happened that were unexpected. First off, I
> picked in the update applet that I wanted to download all packages before
> the upgrade. As my / file-system would not hold all packages I created
> one in my home dir (non-root), and clicked go. It starts and then tells
> me that the directory has the wrong permissions. However I can not adjust
> which directory it downloads to, nor does it tell me what permissions it
> needed (I think it said "wrong owner" but I am not certain). Anyway I
> restarted the upgrade without first downloading the packages and it all
> went smoothly.
>
> After the upgrade Evolution did not have any mailboxes nor any mails. I
> sort of expected this and it is a problem with Gnome/Evolution rather
> than than Magieia. I followed the instructions I found on the net
> regarding migrating from mbox to mdir and things were peaches again.
>
> Second was that I only had a "suspend" rather than "power off" button in
> Gnome shell. I know this was a Gnome decision, so I went looking for the
> gnome-shell-extensions but could not find them in the repository. I found
> the bug-report that asked for them to be removed. To that regard I built
> them myself from the Fedora 17 SRPMS (Fedora 17 runs the same Gnome
> version as Mageia 2). And they work fine.
>
> I put them up on http://rpm.staticthings.com/ if anyone else is
> interested.
>
> In all I am very pleased with how the upgrade went, good work guys and
> gals!
>
> regards
> Daniel

Its good to hear that Daniel. Could you create a bug for the 'wrong
owner' issue you found please on https://bugs.mageia.org

Did you try gnome-tweak-tool for the gnome bits you wanted to change?

I'm not a gnome user so can't say whether it does all you want it to do
but it does allow you to easily alter certain hidden gnome settings.

Thanks
Claire