[Mageia-discuss] How to mount NTFS partitions at boot?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Jan 21 13:07:04 CET 2013

On 30/11/2012 13:11, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 29/11/12 19:01, TJ wrote:
>> eading of head-scratching problems like this are the reason that,
>> in nearly 11 years of using Linux, I never "upgrade" to a new
>> release. I always do clean installs, with the exception of telling
>> the installer to leave my /home partition alone. Believe me, I
>> understand the desire to go the upgrade path, and I know the
>> developers work very hard to make it possible, but the risk of
>> problems is just too high for me. Clean installs have almost always
>> worked for me first time, every time.
>
> In my 10+ years of Linux I've gone the upgrade path 3 times - and each
> time I've spent significant time trying to sort out the mess then
> doing a clean install anyway.  From time to time people say "but it
> works now" which is why I've been tempted to try it, but it's simply
> not worth the effort.

On Mandrake/Mandriva I have done way too many upgrades to even list.

On my personal laptop, I know I have done:

Mandriva 2009.0 install
Mandriva 2009.0 -> Mandriva 2009.1 upgrade
Mandriva 2009.1 -> Mandriva 2010.0 upgrade
Mandriva 20101.0 -> Mageia 1 upgrade
Mageia 1 upgrade -> Mageia 2 upgrade

There is one minor unresolved issue on the Mageia 2 installation, which
I will try and investigate further, but all other upgrades worked
perfectly (e.g. Mandriva 2010.0 to Mageia 1 upgrade was flawless).

I finally got a work laptop, and migrated my home directory from the
above machine, and that worked fine. I have experienced more issues with
normal systemd/dracut etc. issues that with any settings/prefs.

Regards,
Buchan