[Mageia-i18n] Setting up i18n team

Catalin Florin RUSSEN cfrussen at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 13:19:24 CET 2010

>  - Announce team bulding on the i18n list (this mail  here)

Dear all, I'm in with the Romanian Translation Team, founder, coordinator, team
leader and so on because I'm only one for the moment (and left active from
Mandriva). So I think that it should be easy to organise myself :)
I'll welcome any new member ready to invest himself and do a good job (but hard
to find).

>  - Let language teams organize themselves internally, name  contacts/team
>leaders
For now is simple, that would be me.

>  - First meeting on IRC

Great, I've never use it. But I'll look forward.

> Tere  are
> many translators out there who would help translating documents  but
> not so many who woould do the "string work". We should find ways  to
> improve this situation :)

It's obvious, because testing the "string work" needs some practice and force
you to use the application completely. Here we must came with a sort of bug
report when a translation error was found, so that average users can report it
when its found.
For the moment I do mostly the "string work" and hoping to find time and more
people for the documentation/howto work.

>  - - Each language group can set up their  own mailing list or wiki
> page (example: French and German) for internal  communication. If there
> is a necessity to set up a mailing list on the Mageia  server pls tell
> me.

That sound great. What is the procedure to have a wiki and a mailing list?

>  - - Each language group selects 2 "contacts" which  may be also the
> team leaders but not necessary. These contacts will meet  regularly on
> IRC - please only one (1) person per language - with the  contacts of
> other language groups to discuss and report from and to their  language
> group

That would again be me (for the instant).

> I discovered that a large number of people who have put  their names on
> the wiki page for translation work are not subscribed to this  list.

That's not so professional of them. Some times I just can'dt understant people!

> I'd like to see the internal organisation  done by Wednesday next week,
> at least a "get together" and the selection of  the contacts and/or
> leaders. So, pls stick your heads together and talk to  each other :)

Consider it done for the Romanian team :)

> 2. First meeting
>
> First meeting should be next  week. As time/date I suggest Thursday,
> December 9, 2010, at 18:00 Paris time  (GMT +1).*

That won't be possible for me, I have to get my children from school by maximum
18:00 Paris time!
I'll see what I can do, even if I can get them 30 minutes earlier, I have to
take care of them at home because my wife is working also.
If it's possible for 19:00 Paris time it'll be OK for me (that's the problem
with people like me that have a day time job and contribute to this project in
their spare time)

> I know that it is difficult to set a time/date which will  suit
> everybody because we are living in different time zones. We may find  a
> solution during discussing this in the meeting, a possible solution
> may  be a changing time every other week, so everybody will find a time
> which  suits him. Of course there will be meeting logs available in the
> wiki so  everybody can follow the logs and discuss in his language
> group or in this  list here.

It's more than sure that is impossible to find a date/time that suits everybody.
But may be we can do the meeting for a day long, both online (IRC) and offline
(mail/wiki) so that everybody can participate in all time zones. Just give the
start time, end time and the subject list of the meeting. Then we'll give us one
day more after that for the final mail exchanges (for people that could not get
in time for the meeting, ie: day off, illness, vacation, etc.), writing the
meeting report and publishing it.

I'll try to be there in time for the first meeting, my apologies in advance if
I'll be late (reasons explained above).

See you all on Thursday 9 December!

Best regards,
Florin Catalin RUSSEN