[Mageia-i18n] Workflow for i18n translators

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Dec 20 16:57:03 CET 2010

Le vendredi 17 décembre 2010 à 17:51 +0200, Marek Laane a écrit :
> 2010/12/17 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as proposed during the last i18n team meeting we need to summarize the
> > various workflows of i18n contributors to be reported to
> > sysadmin-Team. The aim of this mail discussion is to provide sysadmin
> > team with 2 or 3 scenarios for the workflow (online and offline).
> >
> > First we have to keep in mind that at least one translator of each
> > language has to have commit permission. But in larger groups it may be
> > better to have not more than 2 or 3 translators with commit
> > permission, this enforces collaboration. :)
> >
> > I will start from my personal (though not very large) experience with
> > Mandriva po translating, give a rough overview of the options for
> > mageia and then would like your comments, ideas, corrections, etc..
> >

> > In Mandriva we used to checkout svn (anonymous or with key), worked on
> > the po file with whatever tool we preferred and then
> >  - committed back (if permitted)
> >  - or presented the file to a local team for proofreading and then to
> > be committed (the best way)
> >  - or sent the po file to somebody with commit access to be committed
> >
> > The good part was: you could work with whatever tool you preferred,
> > you could work wherever you wanted without the need of a net
> > connection during work.
> > The bad part was: the risk of conflicts when 2 or more were working on
> > the same file, nobody knew what others were doing at the same time.
> >

> If the team work was really working then only one or some dedicated users
> had right to commit, so the chance to clash was very little. And probably
> even unwise distribution of work (more than one person working on same file)
> was quite rare...
>

> > Now we have several possible scenarios.
> >
> > 1. Using Transifex online and offline
> > Given the fact that transifex is able to use the svn tree, you can
> > work online in transifex. This is collaboration of several people on
> > the same file until the file is translated and proofread. Only after
> > that it will be committed.
> > If you are offline you can still get the file from tranisfex,
> > translate it and upload to transifex again. I don't know how this
> > actually works with Transifex. We will know more about this after
> > obgr_seneca and somebody else had a look at Transifex and report back.
> >
> I've heard Transifex has now online collaboration interface but never used
> that. From the translator viewpoint Transifex was earlier just some kind of
> central where you could see which files need working, could download them,
> translate with tool of your choice and then submit it back uploading
> translated file (or probably sending it to the person who had commit right -
> I'm not sure because I was one-man-team :-) )
> But if Transifex has now online tool, too, that's better.

It has a editor called Lotte.
And according to the changelog, it was rewritten from scratch for 1.0 :
http://help.transifex.net/technical/releases/1.0.html#web-editor-lotte-improvements

> Only problem may
> be with rights - probably it'd be not very wise to let have commit all
> people. Is there possibility that one or two people have commit right,
> others only suggesting rights or something?

I didn't play much with my test instance of transifex, but you can
choose per project ACL :
- free for all
- member of the team
- copied from another project hosted on transifex

I still didn't figure how to create a team for the moment, so I cannot
answer much on transifex.

--
Michael Scherer