[Mageia-i18n] Tx - short guide and faq

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Apr 1 13:25:24 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 01 avril 2011 à 04:58 +0300, Marek Laane a écrit :
> 2011/4/1 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>

> > evening, I
> > and
> > way.

> > questions.
> > yourself
> > to add

> > > Hello,
> > > For a normal new beginner, I want to summon what one should do:
> > >
> > > 1. Register a personal account at https://identity.mageia.org/
> >
> > 1.5 : ask to be added to the proper i18n group ( or you will face "your
> > account is expired" error message )
> >
> > Won't it be better that willing translator is added automatically to the
> "proper group" after he/she has joined the team (i.e. either after clicking
> to join or after coordinator has approved him/her)? It would be more
> logical, woudn't it?

Short answer, that's a technical limitation, tx do not know how to
change this in ldap.

Long answer, for now, we do have :
- a list of accounts in a ldap directory, used everywhere ( ie, it can
be used from bugzilla to forum and svn ).

- modification of the directory is only done by catdap ( the software
running behind the website identity.mageia.org ). We did as this is
easier at first to secure everything on one point, but we could indeed
relax this to let some group be writable.

- we do have a list of group, with various access right ( for those
technically inclined, the ldap configuration of transifex is here :
http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/puppet/modules/transifex/templates/45-ldap.conf?revision=1291&view=markup ).

On the topic of tx, there is 3 access levels ( like any django
application, django being a web framework, a lists of modules used by
transifex ):
 - active users,
 - staff
 - admin

active users can log and use the website.

staff can modify some stuff, in the case of ldap :
add project, add ressources, and some others things

admins can do anything.

Tx admin group is mapped to the current sysadmin team in ldap.

Tx staff are people in the mga-i18n-commiters ldap group, and this is
decided by each team ( ie the local team leader usually ). That the
concept of those that can commit translation to svn.

Active users are people in the mga-i18n ldap group, which is for the
moment filled by hand. People ask to their team to be translator, the
team leader send it to the i18n leaders ( wobo/oliver) that send it to a
sysadmin ( technically any of the admin could do it but it seems to be
me each time ).

There is room for improvement for sure, and being a lazy sysadmin, the
first one would be to remove me from the equation, ie let wobo and
oliver directly edit ldap for the i18n group. While I think this is
doable, we need a interface for that, and we didn't have time to look at
it.

The second step would to cut the middle man again and let people be
approved by the local team leader. This one would unfortunately requires
to either patch transifex ( may be intrusive ), or modify catdap ( that
we plan to do too ). So it may take a substantial amount of time before
it happen unless someone start to code right now ( or dig to tx and see
it already do, i didn't really searched much ).

So yes, we can find a better process, and we likely will but we have
work to do for that, and time is a scarce ressource. We felt it was more
important to have thing running fast, relatively well and painless to
change rather than having the perfect setup if it required to wait a
long time.

--
Michael Scherer