[Mageia-i18n] [Mageia-i18m] Transifex - problem with uploading pot file to the project

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Sat Jan 29 01:05:28 CET 2011

2011/1/28 Jerzy Trzeciak <artusek at wp.pl>

> Hi,
>
> I have registered at transifex.net and created new project named Lemon
> POS, http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/lemonpos/ - for training
> purposes.
> Everything goes fine until I try to upload resources file, i.e. *.pot file.
> After several failures (with no error message), I have read transifex
> manual to find what may cause my bad luck.
> I followed advice to check syntax of pot file with "msgfmt -c file.pot"
> command.
> This gave me message:   "some header fields still include default initial
> values".
> I started playing with header entries. Nothing :(
> Gettext manual also was no helpful in this matter.
> So finally i replaced the whole header with that included in transifex
> manual. No change.
> I have also tried to upload some pot files I have taken from KDE
> translations. All of them generate the same message.
> I tried even to upload file with header only. Nothing at all.
> I don't know what to do in such case.
>
> Well, to check whether I am authorized to do anything, I joined "Chrome
> Extension.po" small project,
> http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/tabcloud/resource/chrome-extensionpo/.
> I have translated it, just for fun without any problem.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to solve the problem? #transifex seems to be
> idle.
>
> My system:
> cat /etc/issue
> Mandriva Linux release 2010.2 (Official) for i586
> Kernel 2.6.36.2-desktop-2mnb on a Dual-processor i686 / \l
>
> msgfmt --version
> msgfmt (GNU gettext-tools) 0.17
> Copyright (C) 1995-1998, 2000-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> Licencja GPLv3+: GNU GPL, wersja 3 lub nowsza <
> http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerzy

I'm not yet tried Transifex proper but it's Fedora's copy on
https://translate.fedoraproject.org/ seemed to work quite good, I even
updated some (Estonian) files online (probably it was that Lotte). But as
subscriber to Fedora translation ML I saw there quite good introduction how
to make project in Transifex proper. It's laid out in
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2011-January/008573.html but
just for case, I copy it here, too - maybe it helps somebody to try and
train there:

Talk is cheap, so I decided to go ahead and setup a proof-of-concept
on Transifex.net. Fedora Localization is TOO important to just let the
ball drop. Maybe some folks at FUDCon can also experiment with it.

I went on and uploaded anaconda and usermode, and created the umbrella
Fedora project.

 http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/r/fedora-15/

If you want to play around with Transifex 1.0, just request to create
your own team or join an existing team, and open the web editor for
Anaconda or Usermode.

 http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/teams/
 http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/r/fedora-15/l/da/

Any translations happened here might won't be pushed to git and will
probably be lost -- especially if we don't use this setup.

One other thing to notice, is that with Tx 1.0+, we can create
language packs. This is what we're doing in the next release of MeeGo.

-d

To add an existing project on Tx
================================

# Create Anaconda project on Tx: Transifex → Projects → Create → Anaconda
# Share teams with Fedora Project: Transifex → Anaconda Project →
Access Control → Outsource
# Push existing translations:
$ git clone http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda.git
$ cd anaconda
$ tx init
$ tx set --auto-local -r anaconda.master 'po/<lang>.po' --source-lang
en --source-file po/anaconda.pot
$ tx push -s -t
Pushing 'el' translations (file: po/el.po)
Pushing 'gu' translations (file: po/gu.po)
Pushing 'mr' translations (file: po/mr.po)
## more info @
##
http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/client/client-0.4.html#for-developers
##
http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/one-dot-zero.html#migrating-your-project

# To include Anaconda in Fedora 15 release:
# Transifex → Fedora Project → Release 15 → Edit
# If you're not a member of the Fedora L10n Admin team, just ping
# us and we'll include your project in the release.

To translate offline Fedora 15
==============================

$ cd my-translations
$ tx set --auto-remote
http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/r/fedora-15/
$ tx pull --language el
$ ll translations/*/el.po
translations/anaconda.master/el.po
translations/usermode.master/el.po

To use translations from Transifex.net

$ tx pull (or add this in your 'make dist' rule)
$ koji build...

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos