[Mageia-i18n] Mentor needed for en_GB i18n newbie volunteer

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue May 10 16:44:57 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:18:59AM +0100, Margot wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>As a result of Bug 1228, I have volunteered to translate into en_GB.
>
>I have zero experience with po and pot files, SVN or Transifex, so
>I would like an English-speaking mentor to guide me through the
>processes. Any volunteers?

Hi Margot, welcome aboard!

I, and I imagine most of the people on this list, would be more than happy
to help you get started and assist where needed. In my experience the
whole translation process seems more like a black art than that it really
is.  Once you get going, and the pointers Oliver has given should go a
long way towards that, you'll find it isn't that complex at all when you
have your first translations done. Anything that is unclear, feel free to
ask on this list or in our IRC channel on freenode, #mageia-i18n . I'm
also willing to answer, to the best of my abilities, any questions you
might have that you send directly to me.

While I'd hate to state the obvious, know that your task isn't the hardest
as the source language for all the files is already English. For most of
the entries you can just copy and paste from the source text to the
translated text and just take out any Americanisms as you encounter them.

Thanks and regards,

Remco