[Mageia-i18n] Website to translate

Rémi Verschelde rverschelde at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:23:23 CEST 2011

2011/5/25 Zé <mmodem00 at gmail.com>:
> 2011/5/25 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:46, Zé <mmodem00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have seen that already exists a pt dir but this its not a portuguese
>>> translation, so it should not be named as pt but as pt_BR.
>>> So i have moved pt files into pt_BR for the portuguese brasilian
>>> translations and have added a new pt dir for the portuguese
>>> translations.
>>
>> I reverted it a few minutes ago. As said Oliver, please do not touch a
>> website content structure without discussing this first.
>>
>> There is a rationale behind this. We did start with a pt-br section
>> and a pt section. The pt one got almost no translation/updates, so we
>> agreed to merge both and have Portugueses/Brazilians discuss among
>> themselves to find the best common localization; unless both teams
>> grow enough to manage two distinct sections (valid for www, blog and
>> maybe other things).
> I im the Pt manager and translater, if you look into translation wiki
> page you will see a PT team.

And if you read again what Romain said, you'll see that managing the
two distinct sections require to that the teams are big enough. Would
you guarantee that you can maintain every Mageia website alone? If
that's the case, then this topic can be DISCUSSED, but never FORCED.
You have no rights to change everything because you feel like it would
be better, as said previously.

>> Making a distinction between pt and pt-br is probably the same as
>> between fr and fr-ch or fr-ca or es, es-ca, es-ar, etc. So for now, we
>> focus on a single localization per main language, unless we have
>> enough people to manage branches of these (zh-tw and zh-cn being a
>> slightly distinct case).
> No, its not the same, there are major differences, there was an
> orthograpgic agreement but that was never put in pratice since
> continue exist words written differently, also exist words that exist
> for brasilians and that dont exist of portugueses.
> If you could have a look into mandriva cooker you would have seen that
> exists aspell-pt and aspell-pt_BR.
> I did mailed about it to mageia ML but i was told that was a thing to
> be changed after freeze, still dont get why since this its not like an
> update...

When I hear "This is a thing to be changed after freeze", I understand
"We're awfully busy now, please refrain from wrecking havoc on the SVN
until we have the time to consider your proposition".
So that's not an update, but that's a potential post-release
improvement. Again, this is absolutely not mandatory. Even if there
are big differences between the two languages, I suppose Brazilians
and Portuguese do understand each other.

>> In the meantime (moving pt-br branch into pt) we kept the original
>> pt-br texts, so that explains this:
>>
>>> also here the correct language code for portuguese brasilian would be pt_BR
>>
>> HTML lang attribute follows http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47 which
>> specifies pt-BR but tolerates pt-br. The lowercase part is preferred
>> because if ever needed, that will be used in the URL path (where
>> lowercase, rather than mixed-case, is preferred as well).
>>
>> Now, if you would like to have pt-br and pt branches separate, have
>> two teams available to manage these. Thanks.
> As said above they already exist, maybe you should have checked that
> before revert the changes.
>
> So please put back the pt translation back.

Maybe he can decide wether it should be put back or not since he is
kinda in charge of the websites and the communication, IINM.
I don't say your point is irrelevant, but it should be first
discussed. You should have told us about it before changing things on
the SVN.

> Also exists a pt and pt_BR translations for the existant .po files.
> And by the way i did discussed this with misc before continue the
> translation work and he also agrreed that would be correct to be
> pt_BR.
> I think you should really have checked first before undone all the
> work i have commited.
> You also need to create 2 different entries in the mageia webpage, one
> for Portuguese and other for Portuguese Brasilian.
>
>> Romain

> --

Rémi / Akien