[Mageia-i18n] [proposition] Using Translate extension on Mageia wiki

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:11:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I just saw the point in last Council meeting
notes about this.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 20:27, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> I just wanted to propose to use Translate extension on it. It is now
> successfully used on KDE UserBase:
> http://userbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_UserBase and TechBase
>
> Advantages of this extension as well as the contact information of authors
> can be found here:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
>
> This extension can significantly ease up maintenance of the translations
> with no additional efforts to sync translations with original (automatic
> synchronization).

Actually, we didn't plan to manage l10n that way, but by having
distinct wiki instances per locale (wiki.mageia.org/en/,
wiki.mageia.org/fr/ and so on) and interwiki-link them. The same way
Wikipedia does it actually (and we used to at MDV as well).

So using this extension means a significant change in how we lay things out.

I guess each solution has its own benefit, so how would these compare?

Romain