[Mageia-i18n] List of pot files not passing msgfmt -c

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat Jun 30 08:37:13 CEST 2012

> True. But conclusion for some is "msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors". See example: $ LC_ALL=C msgfmt -c urpmi_mga2/urpmi.pot msgfmt: urpmi_mga2/urpmi.pot: warning: PO file header fuzzy                               warning: older versions of msgfmt will give an error on this urpmi_mga2/urpmi.pot:7: invalid nplurals value urpmi_mga2/urpmi.pot:7: some header fields still have the initial default value msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors
> Same message for: drakx-kbd-mouse-x11.pot libDrakX.pot mga2 DrakX.pot drakconf.pot mdkonline.pot urpmi.pot drakconf.pot mga2 DrakX.pot mga2 libDrakX.pot
> I don't test files from branch mga1 in that script! And much of pot files are not branched to mga2 yet.

This is due to the nature of intltool-update. It adds

"Plural-Forms: nplurals=INTEGER; plural=EXPRESSION;\n"

Handling of such POT files seems well documented [1] and can be made automatically by most PO editors.

This problem can be "fixed" by adding corresponding nplurals removal command to Makefile in /po folder. Something like

perl -i -p -e "s/\"Plural-Forms: nplurals=INTEGER; plural=EXPRESSION;\\n\"\n//;" $(PGOAL).pot

After the removal, there will be no critical errors.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2004-May/msg00019.html