[Mageia-i18n] I want participate in the translator

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Sat Sep 1 12:04:11 CEST 2012

2012/9/1 yikei lu <luyikei.qmltu at gmail.com>:
> Hello. My name is Yikei Lu. I live in Tokyo/Japan.
> I want to start megeia into Japanese.
>
> My account: luyikei
>
> luyikei

おーいYikeiさん! (I wonder how you write 'Yi' in katakana ^^)

初めまして. 私は訳書チームの共同監督です.
I'm really glad that you join us to translate Mageia into Japanese, it's great!

Since you are our only Japanese translator, you are therefore the
Japanese team leader. Feel free to recruit other translators if you
know some people who might be interested in contributing to Mageia.

The main things to translate for Mageia are, in order of importance
(in my opinion at least):

- Strings: all the strings for Mageia software, so that Japanese
people can use an up-to-date Japanese version of Mageia. At the moment
we use a Gettext/Po files translation system synchronised through our
Subversion repository (svnweb.mageia.org). I will see that you are
granted commit rights to the Subversion repository to be able to
commit your translations.
If you don't know about Po files or about SVN, feel free to contact me
or anyone on the team so that we can introduce you to these
technologies. Please note that there were probably partial Japanese
translations of Mandriva (the Linux distribution Mageia forked from),
and you can use those as a basis for the new translations. Look out
for "jp.po" files on SVN.

- Website: the website www.mageia.org can be translated into Japanese
if you want to, to better advertise the distribution. We use a system
based on .lang files which are quite simple: the English version of a
string is preceded by a semi-colon, and the translation goes on the
following line. See www.mageia.org/langs/report.php if you are
interested in it.

- Blog: the website blog.mageia.org can also be translated, but I
don't think it should be a priority until most of the software strings
are translated to Japanese and included in Cauldron (the future Mageia
3). You can ask here for a blog.mageia.org/jp wordpress instance of
the blog to be opened if you want to translate the blog.

- Wiki: more information about it "soon". For now the translation
process is still being discussed.

Again, welcome aboard!

Regards,
Rémi V. / Akien