[Mageia-i18n] Candidating for deputy leader position

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Wed Mar 6 10:44:04 CET 2013

Hi i18n,

I am willing to candidate once again for the position of deputy leader
of the Internationalisation team.

Folliwing Oliver's example, I'd like to present myself in a few lines
for those of you who don't know me yet.

My name is Rémi Verschelde, and I originate from Lyon in France. I am
currently studying energetic and environmental engineering, and I am
doing my fourth year of studies (1st year Master) in Stuttgart,
Germany, as an Erasmus student (a European program for academic
exchanges between European universities). I am also a free software
afficionado and an amateur programmer.

I joined the Mageia project a few days after the original
announcement. I had been a long time Mandrake/Mandriva user (since
Mandrake 10.2 as far as I can remember, I was probably only 13 years
old back then), but not particularly active in the community, and my
brother Samuel (Stormi) informed me about Mandriva SA's issues and the
birth of Mageia in September 2010. Having no specific technical
capabilities, I started with the i18n team where I took the lead of
the French translation subteam. When wobo had to step back from his
position of leader due to personal reasons, I was elected to second
Oliver at the lead of the i18n team.

Since then I also got involved in a handful of other teams, with
different levels of commitment. I am thus an apprentice packager, a
member of the QA team, part of the Docteam and the Atelier team.

In the i18n team, my main task is to give you ever more work and to
make sure that you can do it. I try to encourage the communication
with the other teams, especially with the teams which produce content
to be translated (Atelier, Doc and Dev teams). I slowly realise that
it would be nice for the team if I could take the habit of attending
council meetings. Oliver does most of the time, but I think it would
also help me to make sure our needs are heard and taken into account.
As an example, it would be nice to know which translated content will
be included in Mageia 3, since many of us started actively producing
content after the official deadline.

I am currently working together with Marja, the leader of the Docteam,
and a few other Docteam contributors to refine their current
translation workflow, and present it to you as clearly as possible.
The current situation makes it quite difficult for i18n members to
contribute, since doc translation are handled in the Docteam, which is
clearly separated from i18n. (Though we were asked a few times to join
the effort with joining Docteam). Hopefully I'll be able to write to
you about it in the coming days. It was also discussed in the last
i18n meeting.

Feel free to ask any question you may have.

Cheers,
Rémi / Akien