[Mageia-marketing] Mageia product naming/scoping

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:43:10 CEST 2011

Bradley, I think you are talking about semantic problems here. :)

As has been in Mandriva it will be like this (among other possible
editions like liveCD or liveDVD, whatever):

1 DVD which installs a 32-Bit system
1 DVD which installs a 64-Bit system, including the needed 32-bit things.

This second DVD is not a "dual-arch" because it can only install on
one arch: a 64-bit system. Try to boot a 32-bit system with that DVD
and you get an error. It only has 32-bit software which is needed for
a complete range of applications. And, yes, you are right, we will see
these additional 32-bit pieces in 64-bit desktop systems for a long
time to come.

A "dual-arch" medium means a medium which can install a 32-bit or a
64-bit system, depending on the hardware - this is what Mandriva and
Mageia are providing with a minimal range of software to use for later
net installation of selected apps or other purposes of a minimal
system.

Of course it would be possible to supply a "server edition" with pure
64-bit software only + additional server related software. Time will
tell if this is something we can do (matter of ressources) besides the
desktop edition which will be the main 'product'.

--
wobo