[Mageia-marketing] Plan - stuff to do pre Beta 1 release

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Wed Apr 6 14:00:31 CEST 2011

Hi Bradley!

Thanks for your words; it's been a big boost. I've snipped a fair
bit, but I didn't miss a word!

Unfortunately I'm only able to mark time between now and Sunday - I'm
on my way to an exhibition for my day-job - but I'll be doing plenty
of thinking.

> It's really great that you stepped over to take the chair for the
> marcom team now that the Council is actually seated, and to be
> fair, a nod (as you suggest via the semination across the
> organization of marketiing material) is required from *somewhere*
> on our part - if for no other reason that to NOT get things wrong,
> like the details or the message.
>
> Until now, and the point where you offered to represent Marcom in
> the Council meetings, I think we were effectively hamstringed in
> our ability to move forward - unless it was unilaterally. Something
> we didn't want to do, and rightfully so.

Yes - and that bit about not being unilateral is very, very important!

> In the FOSS community, R&D immediately precedes release. Not like
> corporate enterprise where releases can be held until the entire
> package can be released as a cohesive web.

In the corporate environments I've worked in for the last
quarter-century (don't that sound grand?) it's been exactly the same
as in a FOSS project - R&D up to and past the last minute. The only
difference here is we're trying to grow a community rather than a
bank balance - in many ways easier (because one doesn't have to
prevaricate, ever <beam>) and in many ways harder (because bringing a
single voice out of a community of volunteers is like herding cats).
But I think we can do it. (My day job is in adaptive tech, and I
work globally, so I've got a fair idea.)

> > We should prepare all process for beta2 and next releases. Time
> > is a bit short for beta1. It took time to release isos and on my
> > side I'm just finalizing things. What I suggest is formalize this
> > for beta2. WDYT ?
> >

> Well Anne, since you asked, and in light of what I related as my
> observations above, I would recommend that we give Patricia our full
> support going forward with our position of relevance there, and
> also to just forget about beta2 and focus on Mageia 1 RC1 or Stable
> - it is the second week of April, and there is quite a lot still on
> the plate to deliver our complete package for Mageia 1 in June.
>
> In the meantime, Patricia will be able to engage in the process of
> enforcing a place of relevance for Marcom in the Mageia Universe :)

Agree! Thanks! and I hope you won't be too swamped with the tech stuff
to put your voice right in there...

Cheers,

--
Trish Fraser, JD9R RQ2D