[Mageia-marketing] Showcasing technology and people

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:39:21 CEST 2011

2011/4/18 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
> In the continuity of the WWC speech, ennael and I think it could be
> worth it to setup a series of posts in the blog about:
>  - what developers can find in Mageia (technology stacks that suit them)
>  - what users can find in Mageia (tools that help them)
>  - what people can do with Mageia (what gets done with it in the real
> world out there)
>  - what people can do for Mageia (contributors, in what, how and where).
>
> Those both to show what is in, and get feedback about what could be in.
>
> That would be a long series and the start would be with the technology
> stacks (perl, python, ruby, php, etc.) in the form of some global
> overview and one-on-one interviews with involved packagers/developers.
>
> All in all, that would make 4 categories, and maybe need 4 distinct
> persons to manage each category. In the best case scenario, we would
> post 2 per week. In the worst, 1 every two weeks. And for that we
> could use bonjourmageia.fr as a distinct mean to lead people to the
> blog post.

You have a great idea (the series of blog posts, showcasing Mageia's
benefits for several different groups). The blog page is surely one
way to post that series but blog posts are very short lived animals if
there is no central pointer to them. So far I agree.

But then again you hide that pointer away in some web page which
people will find only by chance. Even if this "bonjourmageia.fr" would
be linked on the portal page of Mageia people would not recognize it
as a pointer to such valuable documents. What does "bonjourmageia"
mean to the people who arrive at mageia.org? First guess: some page
for the Frenchies because it's a French name. Second guess (of those
who understand "bonjour"): Ok, some page showing the Mageia people who
want to say "Bonjour" to me. Not the real goal of the page, is it?

This showcase of possible benefits can be a series of blog posts but
not hidden where people would not find it. Why not put links on the
portal page where it says "Mageia's benefits for You ..." then
followed by "... if you are a developper" and "... if you are a user
of the Mageia distribution."

--
wobo