[Mageia-marketing] Communication about the alpha and the ISO 0 release

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 9 01:00:57 CET 2011

2011/2/8 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:

>> Ok, having discussed on IRC with DjeZAel further about this, it seems
>> some people advertise the release to be available (because they
>> believe it to be and they don't check) and to be usable for everyone
>> (for the same reasons of not caring enough to check what's happening).
>>
>> That's life so we have to prepare & square our message to start to
>> talk about the release before it happens.
>>
>> So here is the situation at this very time:
>>  * we won't release an ISO by January; we are late, although we are
>> really reaching the point to be able to build an ISO;
>>  * that we *can* build and release an ISO does not mean that it is for
>> everyone to use; again, this first alpha will be of no interest for
>> most people outside of the project.
>>
>> Let's sync with founders this evening about this (or tomorrow) as to
>> post on -discuss, Twitter and our blog (at least) a statement about
>> this:
>>  * don't promise what you don't know about this release;
>>  * do not market this release outside of the project; it will be of no
>> interest outside of the project; it will be announced nonetheless, but
>> not as a general, usable release;
>>  * do not reclaim for download mirrors when there is not even a
>> release announced; be consistent;
>>  * please be very careful about the release message as it impacts the
> project.
>>
>> Advice?
>>
> yes : ) the ancient wise says "if you want a thing to be remembered, put it on
> its name" : ) (copyright by Marcello Anni 2011)
>
> why don't we call it "Ugly and unuseful" or "Don't try it" or something
> similar? 99% of such an issue will be resolved : )

Because we want to follow that famous quote by Marcello Anni :) We do
not want the Beta 1 to be remembered as ugly or unuseful.

Au contraire it is a good proof of what has been done so far, it is a
good base to build on, and it is good enough to motivate contributors
to contribute. Calling it ugly or unuseful sends a negative signal,
rather demotivating - who wants to work on something ugly (except
plastic surgeons of course)?

But I agree in one point - it may be good to find a more meaningful
name than "Beta 1".

--
wobo