[Mageia-marketing] Meeting?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:14:02 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 22:22, Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org> wrote:
> On the upside my physio recommended kneading dough as a good therapuetic
> exercise so I've become a dab hand at making bread, this week I'm moving on to
> pizza dough.

Yum.

> The good news is that all of the above has been doing the deed and I'm well on
> the way to full recovery.  I'm now "allowed" three 30 minute stretches at the
> keyboard per day, a vast improvement since before xmas and I should be back to
> full function within a week or two and I shall start annoying everyone again.

:) Nice to hear from you again!

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 16:13, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:
>> >  1. I guess there's not much activity in the marketing area; since
>> > several weeks; what's your diagnostic about that?
>
> I think it might be a good time to revisit what the project as a
> whole (founders, devels, everyone) wants from its marketing team -
> seems like we had a bit of divergence there, and it would be good to
> bring that back together.

Yes. Actually, it seems that my refocus points [1] made things stop
somehow? We slipped out of schedule (first alpha is for this month and
we're headed for FOSDEM) and several events made things slower. The
divergence is still in some heads I guess and it needs to be precised.

I can't speak for other founders; my point of view is that the
desirable marketing design effort in Mageia is not to target what
exists but in suggesting new stuff (products, technology, use-cases)
from what we can achieve already. That's easier said than done of
course. And that's not predictable at all. That's the point: working
for a Linux distribution project community, but to prepare a way for
something else/more than the desktop/laptop/tablet/server OS thing.

So that requires first to see/understand what we can achieve as a
community. So that needs to focus first on contributors as they will
make the project go a long way, or not. Who are they? What do they do?
Why? What for? Who knows about that and who should be told about it?
[2]

As long as we did not ship of very first stable release, we can not
aim to specific (known or unknown) use cases (reminding a discussion
about this a few months ago).

Said more shortly, if we are to release Mageia 1 around April/May,
that will be a pretty generic LInux distribution platofmr, some more
specific packaging/release could be discussed then, but not
(officially) released before Mageia 2 (or it would be community
derivatives, but this could precisely to be coordinated in some way so
it gets full support later).

[1] second/last part of
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-discuss/20101018/002460.html

[2] that's a very shared concern with the communication team tasks, so
that's the reason of my point below, actually. Having the two teams
mix and work together to forge the communication strategy of the
project, toward itself first, toward outside followers, and then, when
we ship something, to its potential users.

>> >  2. shall we hold an IRC meeting next week (if possible between
>> > 9:00 and 15:00 UTC) on irc.freenode.net/#mageia-marcom to:
>
> Fine for me - any day is ok. Is this also a good time for Graham
> or any other Antipodeans?

Say, Thursday between 9:00 and 17:00 UTC (10 and 18 Paris time). I
know Graham is more available early in the morning and some others are
more available at the end of the day. Or we may hold two meetings.

Please update your line here:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=marketing#preferred_meeting_time so
we get an idea of everyone's availability. That will help to set a
time where most people can be there, or to know how to split in two
meetings if needed.

>> >  3. we did not yet launch the communication team (willing
>> > contributors here:
>> > http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=communication ); I wonder if
>> > we wouldn't better merge both teams (marketing+communication) to
>> > have those two especially in sync (as well as with an effort to
>> > sync with artwork & some web devs);
>
> I think marketing and communication belong together! let's go for it.

I believe it could help point 1. too, leaving some time to work on the
project self-representation and communication to the outside (working
on this effort then) and then looking forward on the prospective
marketing side of things (by that, I mean, call to projects,
prototypes, metrics usage, design, etc.).

But that's really up to you as a team (and communication volunteers I
will mail) to say if it's a good plan or not. That's an open point.

>> >  4. who will be at FOSDEM in February? (5-6, in Brussels)
>
> I wish. Next one I'll be better organised - but, what do people need
> to have ready, that we can/should be doing? And, can we maybe work up
> a calendar of events, so we can be ready for them?

We will have some stickers and t-shirts already (Damien and Caroline
are working on this). Misc is planning a talk about the fork, its
organisation and some issues we faced. And we expect to hold a lot of
bee^informal meetings.

As for a calendar, Oliver Burger is working on checking the technical
solution and we should have a running one in the next few weeks. In
the meantime, a rough calendar of events (can be updated) is available
from http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=roadmap .

Cheers!

Romain